Let me say a few words to all the teachers out there....
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
I have never in my life wanted to be a teacher. It took just 2 minutes of one tutoring session when I was a Junior in high school for me to realize I was not cut out for such a profession.
Yesterday, I was reminded of this.
Yesterday, I went with Meredith's kindergarten class to the Capital.
It was like herding cattle, only not quite as relaxing. Although, to be fair, none of the kids jumped the fence into the neighbor's field.
OK, it probably wasn't that bad, but there were 20-some kids and only 5 adults. Quite frankly, I think they should have been shackled together so they would have had to stay in line.
They actually were pretty good but I don't normally like kids who aren't mine or my friends'. Probably a control thing, I'm sure. Meredith was pretty good, I was pleasantly surprised by that. Hayden always got over-excited whenever I was around - he basically morphed into a hyperactive spider monkey so I eventually learned to not go with him on field trips. Meredith is a little more sedate. Plus she got to be a co-line-leader with her boyfriend and even held his hand and whispered with him. Oh, dear.
Anyway, to make a short story even longer - I walked away with tremendous respect for the 2 teachers and the 2 aides involved. I am so glad that there are people in the world who enjoy teaching small children. They even still seemed in good spirits when we returned to the school.
I, on the other hand, went home for a beer and a nap.

1 comment:
lol, a beer and a nap? That must be a Nebrasky thing. I usually go home for a glass of water and a nap, maybe a cup of hot chocolate but then again...herds of children don't bug me so much unless they are not being supervised at all.
Post a Comment